Positive Behavior System (PBS)
At Bartow Middle School we encourage appropriate behavior through our
Positive Behavior System (PBS). Positive Behavior Support (PBS) gives people a new way to think about behavior.
PBS is based on understanding why problem behaviors occur - the behavior's function. This approach to behavior can occur on a school-wide level, in a specific setting, classroom, or with an individual student. PBS is the application of evidence-based strategies and systems to assist schools to increase academic performance, increase safety, decrease problem behavior, and establish positive school cultures.
On an individual level, PBS uses functional behavior assessments to understand the relationships between a student's behavior and characteristics of his or her environment. The functional behavior assessment identifies multiple strategies to effectively reduce problem behavior including changing systems, altering environments, teaching skills, and focusing on positive behaviors.
The PBS process results in the creation of effective intervention plans that will impede problem behaviors, teach new skills, and create support systems for the student.
On a school-wide level, PBS relies on accurate and reliable discipline referral data to understand the behaviors occurring across campus. An analysis of the data allows a school team to identify the problem areas, brainstorm interventions such as where and what to teach, reward the students exhibiting the expected behavior, and communicate findings to the staff, students, and families.
The PBS process is a team-based approach that relies on a strong collaboration between families and professionals from a variety of disciplines regardless of the level implemented.
- School-wide expectations - The purpose of this program is to motivate students to do what is expected of them, and then reward them for their successes. Positive entries on PBS cards can be earned any time a student is caught "bringing the STING"
- Stingerpalooza - Stingerpalooza is a reward for the students who earn enough positive card entries during the quarter. There will be a different event at the end of each quarter.
- Email to Mr. Williams - Assistant Principal
- Email to Mrs. Scheloske - Dean of Students
- Email to Mr. Chauncey - Dean of Students