The PALMS at LHMS is a Pre-Academy designed to prepare middle school students with real-world exposure to career specific curriculum through electives.
The intent of the Pre-Academy is to provide students with occupational exploratory courses and the potential to earn high school credit while still enrolled in the middle school.
These programs give students valuable work place skills and prepare them for high school, college, and the workforce of the future.
Download our complete ACADEMY BROCHURE.
|For even more information on PCSB academies, visit www.polkacademies.com|
Soar above and beyond in the Aviation Pre-Academy! This academy gives hands-on learning experiences and focuses on learning the foundations for the design, development, and operation of aircraft. Students will be given the opportunity to solve technological problems using a variety of tools, materials, processes, and systems while gaining an understanding of the effects of production technology on our everyday lives.
Aviation courses offered in this academy include:
- Exploration of Production Technology
- Exploration of Aerospace Technology
- Foundations of Robotics (High School Credit)
The Culinary Pre-Academy gives students background and hands on experience in the food service industry.
Culinary courses offered in this academy include:
- Exploring Hospitality & Culinary w/Career Planning
- Fundamentals of Culinary
The Fine Arts Pre-Academy includes many facets of creative expression. From communications to music to theater and drama, students will be able to hone their talents and embrace their freedom to express themselves.
Fine Arts courses offered include:
- Visual Arts (3D Art, Portfolio Art, Art Appreciation)
- Performing Arts (Drama, Chorus I-III, Band, Symphonic, Concert, Jazz, Orchestra)
- Spanish (Spanish I/II - High School Credit)
- Physical Education (Team Sports, Extreme Sports, and Fitness)
There are thousands of careers related to the American legal and criminal justice system. The Law Pre-Academy provides opportunities for students to explore and gain experience in many of the career routes in various branches of law such as public safety, corrections, and security. Within this academy students will also have the chance to receive high school credit learning technical knowledge and skills needed for the 21st century.
Law courses offered in this academy include:
- Introduction to Law & Public Safety
- Exploration of Criminal Justice
- Exploration of Communication Technology
- Legal Office Technology (High School Credit)
Do you have a passion to help others and are thinking about a future career in the medical field? In the Medical Pre-Academy students will learn many skills in a hands-on lab setting. Studies will include instruction in the use of safety procedures, tools, equipment, materials, and processes related to health occupations.
Medical courses offered in this academy include:
- Introduction to Health Science/Career Planning
- Orientation to Health Occupations
- Health Science: Orientation to Nursing
- Medical Skills (High School Credit)
Are you interested in gaining the technological foundations to prepare yourself for an ever-changing world? Media Design Pre-Academy students will learn the equipment, programs, and software currently used by professionals today. Students can explore graphic design, animation techniques, video editing, and digital special effects.
Media Design courses offered in this academy include:
- Computer Applications 1 & 2
- Digital Design
- Web Design
- TV Production
Students with a proven record of high academic performance enjoy project-based learning while enhancing their academic learning with rigorous instruction. Classes prepare students for high school AP courses, dual enrollment, and post secondary education.