The vision of Lake Gibson Step Up Academy includes the belief that:
- Students learn at different rates and with different styles. To provide for optimum learning, we need to address the learning styles of each student.
- All students can experience a successful high school program providing it is tailored to their individual needs and self-paced to allow students to progress at their own rate of learning.
- Each student is capable of learning and accomplishing individual success. To promote this, we will strive to foster a positive learning potential of each student.
- All students at the high school level can successfully master the requirements of the FCAT state assessment instrument, providing they are given individual instruction, a firm academic base and the required time to master these necessary skills.
- High school students have a need to feel appreciated and accepted. The facilitate this, the Lake Gibson Step Up Academy will promote growth of healthy self-esteem in the students.
- Students need to learn how to learn. The Lake Gibson Step Up Academy will provide opportunities for students to develop skills in problem solving, critical and creative thinking as real life situations and problems and use academic tools to problem solve and apply new learning.
- Students lean best from those who show genuine concern for their welface and are positive role models. Like other high school teachers at our school site, the teachers of this program will provide a safe, caring, and positive learning environment. In addition, the low student-to-teacher ratio will provide more one to one opportunities for students who may need additional support.
- Students need to become informed, responsible citizens in our diverse democratic society. The program will provide oppotunities for students to appreciate this diversity, make decisions about their behavior and to become accountable for their actions of the school and as future citizens.