Welcome to Southwest Elementary School
Thank you for visiting our Southwest Elementary website!
We hope you will find it informative and helpful. We are extremely proud of the program offered here for our students and families and we encourage you and your child to participate as fully as possible.
We are looking forward to the 2013-2014 school year to be another wonderful year at Southwest Elementary!
Mission Statement: Southwest Elementary will nurture academic excellence and integrity by promoting a passion for learning in a safe environment.
In order to create uniformity throughout Polk County Public Schools, school bell scedules will change beginning in the new school year 2014-2015. Our new start time will be 8:00 am, and our new end time will be 3:00 pm.
Section 1010.215 of the Florida Statutes requires school districts to report to parents and to the public certain financial information in the form of a yearly school financial report addendum. The 2012-2013 School Financial Report Addendum has now been added to your individual school's website. In order to comply with the statute requiring us to properly notify parents of the availability of this report we are requesting that you include the location of the report in your next monthly newsletter or school communication. Please also include that paper copies are available at school site and district office.
Instructions for viewing the 2012-2013 School Financial Report are:
2)Proceed to "Schools". Select Desired School.
3)2012-2013 – School Financial Report. (Click here to view report.)
Polk County Public Schools will again allow parents and guardians the option to register their kids online over the course of a month-long registration period referred to as Kindergarten Registration Round-Up. Parents will also have the option to register in-person at their zoned school. Parents and guardians are being urged to sign up beginning Monday, March 3 until the registration period ends on Monday, April 7. Students entering kindergarten must be five-years-old on or before September 1, 2014.
Kindergarten Registration Begins Monday, March 3, 2014
for Students New to Kindergarten in the 2014-2015 School Year
To enroll a new kindergarten student, parents and guardians must present the following:
(1) legal proof of age (i.e. a birth certificate or baptismal certificate), a current physical exam dated within the last 12 months and a certificate of immunization (Florida Department of Health form 680) showing all shots including second MMR, polio, DPT/DTaP, Hepatitis B series and second varicella or signed proof of chicken pox. For further information about documentation requirements, parents and guardians are being asked to contact the elementary school.
(2) Two proofs of residency from two different categories are also required: mortgage document, property tax record, home or apartment lease agreement; a current utility bill (electric, gas, phone, water, cable); current voter registration document; proof of government benefits (Medicare, disability, food stamps, HRS correspondence); Current Florida Driver’s License, Automobile Registration or Automobile Insurance.
Steps for In-Person Registration
- Gather the necessary documents.
- Visit the school your student is zoned for to obtain a paper enrollment packet.
- Complete all information and return to school.
Steps for Online Registration
- Gather the necessary documents. If your student is currently enrolled in a Polk County PreK or VPK program, you can’t register online.
- Log in using an existing Parent Portal account or create an account by visiting the Parent Portal website at:
https://parent.mypolkschools.net or www.polk-fl.net Keyword Search: Enroll
- Click the menu item titled “Pre-Registration” then follow the on-screen prompts.
- If assistance is needed during this process, contact the Polk County Public Schools’ IST Help Desk at 863.519.8040 or HelpDesk@polk-fl.net.
For additional questions about Kindergarten Registration contact Polk County Public Schools’ Office of Pupil Accounting at 863.534.0716 or Southwest Elementary at 863.499.2830
Pay for your yearbook online! (ID code is: 11414414 )
How YOU can help our school:
Business and Community Partnerships - click here for more information about joining our school as a partner.
Digital Wish- Digital Wish is a non-profit with a unique mission to modernize K-12 classrooms and prepare students for tomorrow's workforce. Like a gift registry, teachers create wish lists of technology products for their classroom. Donors then connect with their favorite schools and grant classroom wishes through online cash or product donations - thus improving the access to modern technology in classrooms.
8/14/14 ~ Student Orientation Day/Paraeducator First Work Day
8/18/14 ~ FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL FOR STUDENTS
9/1/14 ~ Holiday (Labor Day)
9/22/14 ~ Student/Paraeducator Holiday
10/20/14 ~ Teacher Work Day, Student/Paraeducator Holiday
10/22/14 ~ End of 1st 9-Week Grading Period
11/11/14 ~ Holiday (Veterans' Day) – Student, Teacher, Paraeducator
11/24-11/28 ~ Holidays
12/19/14 ~ Last School Day before Winter Break Friday
1/5/15 ~ Students, Teachers, and Paraeducators Return after Winter Holidays
1/15/15 ~ Last Day of 2nd Grading Period
1/16/15 ~ Teacher Work Day, Student/Paraeducator Holiday
1/19/15 ~ Holiday (Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Day)
1/26/15 ~ Staff Development Day, Student/Paraeducator Holiday
2/16/15 ~ Holiday (Presidents' Day)
3/25/15 ~ End of 3rd 9-Week Grading Period
3/30-4/3 ~ SPRING BREAK
5/25/15 ~ Holiday (Memorial Day)
6/4/15 ~ LAST DAY FOR STUDENTS